Sunday, May 21, 2017

4 1/2 (ig)noble truths - 2017 Uno Festival

Thomas McKechnie and Why Not Theatre
Thursday May 18th 9:00 pm, Saturday May 20th 6:30 pm, Sunday May 21st 6:00 pm

Thomas tells us we will witness a performance lecture on clinical depression.  He identifies the scientific nomenclature that characterizes this all too common state and, informing us how theatre can give form to this formless thing, launches into a poetic and meteoric rant of discovery and insight.

If you've ever clued into the absolute absurdities of so much that is identified as "mainstream" culture on this planet, you'll appreciate Thomas' perspective.  Search "quotes about insanity" and you'll find many, throughout history, who have expressed this thought including Jiddu Krishnamurti who is attributed with "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Embracing what are (presumably) his own cerebral challenges, Thomas uses eggs to tell his story.  Each egg represents an individual being.  Lots of metaphor there, for sure.  When there's only one egg remaining the story turns to very personal introspection, and prop after prop after prop pile onto that single egg which, amazingly, withstands unbelievable pressure.

That's all I'm going to say about that.  You'll need to go see Thomas' performance if you want to know any more.  But if you'll forgive me my own personal rant, I'd like to identify the source of my own, and I believe much of the population's, clinical (or non-clinical) depression.

Thomas (unknowingly?) touches upon it when he talks about the banality of food.  "I'm chewing because that's what people do," he says.  Every day humans stuff something called "food" into their bodies.  Often it's just a big hassle, having to plan it, prepare it, clean up after it.  The smell, the mess, the blood.  How and why did the very basic sustenance of life become so annoying?  Is it because somewhere in our very powerful subconscious we know ... this stuff called "food" has a source?  Do you ever think about where your "food" comes from?  Do you know it involves unthinkable horrific torture and the absolutely unnecessary murder of millions, billions, of innocent creatures, ongoingly?  If you do, and you continue to participate in it, is it any wonder you get depressed?!

I understand depression.  Been there, done that.  My cure?  I stopped stuffing torture and death into my own face.  Gave it up completely, nearly 17 years ago (after a full decade trying to convince myself that being a vegetarian meant I wasn't part of the torture and murder cycle).  Now I know, and I've never felt better, spiritually, physically, emotionally.  The world's still a crazy place, that hasn't changed, it still makes me sad to witness mass extinction and climate change etc.  But I can fend off the big depression by reminding myself that I'm a long ways away from all that daily violence.  That's powerful!

During his performance Thomas selects one person from the audience to help illustrate the common human need for compassion and understanding.  On Saturday he chose the person sitting next to me, my friend Nancy.  He whispered a secret in her ear.  I won't tell you what that secret is.


Thomas is performing once more in this year's Uno Festival, tonight at 6:00 pm at the Intrepid Theatre Club.  Go ... maybe he'll tell you the secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment